Sunday, August 6, 2017

Review: Perfection: A Memoir of Betrayal and Renewal

Perfection: A Memoir of Betrayal and Renewal Perfection: A Memoir of Betrayal and Renewal by Julie Metz
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Be warned that this is NOT my kind of book - I don't enjoy (that much) stories of women who recover from personal tragedy. Therefore, I gave it a modest score. I had to force myself to finish it because the story is sorrowful and draining.

However, for those who enjoy these types of personal journeys, this is a beautifully written memoir and has engaging, poetic language. The writing is what kept me going, as well as my incessant need to know, "Then what happened?". This is a very raw, very emotional, open and honest story about a widow who learns of her husband's affairs several months after his death. She is frank in her recount of her hatred toward the other women, she is unashamedly honest about her conflicted emotions. I was almost shy about how honest she was; kudos to her. I am certain she has blessed many readers with feelings of relief, community and opened doors toward an understanding of how we see ourselves and each other, and how we gauge our relationships.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment