Saturday, November 25, 2017

Review: Small Great Things

Small Great Things Small Great Things by Jodi Picoult
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

It was hard for me to read because I questioned the authenticity of a book written by a white woman about a black woman's experience in America. However, I have enjoyed one other book by her, so I started this one with a bit of hope.

I actually stopped reading it for awhile because I couldn't stop questioning the voice of the character as realistic. I picked it up again, much later on, and finished it, with a sad satisfaction that the book was indeed well-written and opened up thoughts about racism and how 'not seeing color' is an extension of ingrained racism.

I have to add that reading Picoult's afterword was a breath of relief as she herself admitted to the delicate difficulty the subject matter and characters presented in terms of the story being genuine.

I think Picoult did her best, and the story is both provocative and sadly believable.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment