Thursday, July 12, 2018

Review: The Steep & Thorny Way

The Steep & Thorny Way The Steep & Thorny Way by Cat Winters
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Although I was prepared to be unimpressed with the very frank and bold connections to Shakespeare's Hamlet (a writer's ploy to wow his or her readers, I thought), I was pleasantly surprised and ultimately enjoyed this version of the Shakespearean plot very much!

The writing was smooth and fluid; the characterizations were a tiny bit shallow with the limited perspective of Hanalee, the main character, but the storyline, although borrowed, kept me engaged from beginning to end. The surprising placement and setting, 1920s Oregon; the twist of characters with the involvement of the KKK and a biracial young lady altogether combined for a heady story which left me saddened and satisfied.

I even accepted the ghost involved!

I can hardly wait to read her other books!

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment