Monday, January 13, 2020

Review: The Living

The Living The Living by Matt de la Pena
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I was pleased to see a 'different type' of book by this author, whose gritty young adult novel We Were Here was amazingly good. This appeared to be a science fiction and/or adventure story. I wondered if he'll grown into the James Patterson type of author: no genre is a mountain that cannot be climbed.

The book took a long time to get to any action or adventure. I was a third of the way in before the earthquake hit, which was all over the book jacket. There was a lot of build up with the protagonist Shy's relationships. There was a superquick development of attraction between a formerly disliked rich, spoiled female passenger, Addie, and working-class Shy, while they were adrift on a rescue raft after their cruise ship sank. A bit melodramatic: "I think I could love you".

Overall, it was fine for an escapist story but I wish the story wasn't so uneven. I will still likely read the next book, because the cliffhanger ending forces me to do so.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment